When Can I be Exposed to Asbestos?
Exposure to Asbestos can come about unknowingly and it is mostly short-term exposure. Non-friable Asbestos is usually strong and does not pose that much of a risk but non-friable can be very harmful when disturbed and broken and it is very important to understand how exposure to the fibres in this material can be dangerous to your body.
Short-term exposures are common and generally last a day. Some of the scenarios to short-term exposure can be:
- Drilling into old cement drywall. Many houses that were built before the year 2000 used asbestos in cement to enhance strength and durability. Drilling into these walls can release these fibres in the air causing short-term exposure.
- Renovating your attic or garage. Back in the mid-1900s every builder and contractor used Asbestos in their housing projects. Attics and garages were insulated by vermiculite which contained asbestos. In garages mainly, sheets of asbestos were placed within walls and roofs. Even vinyl floor tiles contained asbestos. So, during renovation and scraping up your house you could be exposed to asbestos.
- Cutting insulation of pipes. Pipeline systems were all insulated by asbestos due to their resistance to fire and heat. The layer of asbestos coating is very open and trying to cut through the insulation can cause the fibres to directly be inhaled or swallowed since you are working in such proximity.
Even though these are one-off exposures and hardly result in serious health issues, asbestos exposure is cumulative and if not controlled will eventually cause issues later. If your house happens to be built before the year 2000, it is advisable to get the place inspected and tested to avoid further exposure to Asbestos. Search for asbestos inspection Newcastle to find experts near you.